Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Fencing and Writing

God has a wonderful tendency to give people gifts that often have little to do with each other. Many people are highly talented in sports, but cannot do academic work for the life of them. Other people are the other way, mentally strong but no physical abilities. Some are great at math but horrible at English. Others are great at history but terrible with languages. But some people have mixed gifts. God has given me a gift with sports (predominately through fencing), science and math, and writing. These are not gifts commonly seen with each other, yet God gave them to me for a reason.

I am really good with numbers and God has shown me how to teach recently. So I am seeking to get certified in Physics and Math. But I've also been fencing for 12 years and am going to seek coaching as a option. Math and sports usually aren't seen in the same person too often. Math and an ability to write, even less.

In the last 3 1/2 years, God opened the door for me to get into fiction novel writing as a hobby. And he has enabled me to use my understanding and experience in fencing to write battle scenes that truly depict a properly done fight. I've read a number of authors that do a sword fight and they clearly don't know a beat from a parry (same action, one is offense, the other is defense). I've read some others that have done some research and while I can tell they've learned stuff, I can also tell they've never held a weapon in thier life. So I've sought to give readers sword action from someone who truly knows the use of blades and the mindset of being in battle.

I've written a fiction novel with a heavy Christian Spiritual Warfare theme. And after several years of editing and patiently waiting, the time may be here for publication. I have been contacted by Lighthous Christian Publishing expressing interest in my novel. So I am currently reviewing my novel one last time before submitting it. If they like what they see, I can expect talks for a contract following shortly. And when that happens, it won't be long be you may see Battle Cry: Adventures in the Kingdom of Heaven on the shelves of bookstores.

No comments:

Post a Comment